Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Friendship Facts

Darlene is a different ethnicity than I am. When she had her nervous breakdown a few years ago, her family was very cold towards me. Maybe because I am white and because she is black. Maybe because I am in HR and they thought I cared for her only because it was my job to do so. I knew after my first phone call to see how she was that I was not welcome.

Today when she called me she told me that she made it very clear to her family that if anything should happen to her, that they were to call me. She told them that I am to be at any surgical proceedure. That I could come visit any time. She told them I am her true friend. I do not call to be nosy. I call because I care. Her mom agreed. She told her that now she knows and she likes me as well. I guess there are no shades of gray here. We are friends. That is as black and white as it gets.

No comments: