Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Celebrating Chris


I felt that both Chris and the people at our store needed some closure after experiencing his loss in such a blunt way. I knew all of us needed some time to mourn and get our emotions under control. We decided to Celebrate Chris tonight!

When I originally thought about this, I figured that a Tuesday night at Hacienda would be pretty quiet rather than something over a weekend. A few days ago Mike came to me and said that B-100, a local radio station, was going to be having a promotion there. Dang! Yesterday he said that he had heard there was also going to be a band there because it is 'Fat Tuesday'. Fat what? To me, everyday is a fat something or other. I am naive enough not to know that somehow Fat Tuesday is related to some Mardi Gras celebration.

Anyone who knows me, realizes I am private. I am serious. I am not a party animal. This was not what I wanted to hear. I had contacted Chris, told him to expect more than 5-6 and that no tears were allowed. We had at least 30. No tears. At least not too many. I had picked up Darlene and took her and between everyone seeing Darlene and Chris, we had a wonderful Fat Tuesday night. I mean totally fun! I never go to those things. It was so good to just be together as a working family and laugh and talk. It was good not only for Chris, but for the rest of us as well.

I made Chris a scrapbook that everyone contributed to. He was moved. We had a great cake. He was touched. He said we needed to do it again - next week. He laughed. And after all, that is always what Chris did best. Laughed.

No comments: