Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Filling in the Dashes


On the way home from Wakarusa today, I heard a radio speaker allude to the 'dashes' in our lives. You know. On a cemetery marker there is a birthdate and a date of death. There is a dash between them.

It is no secret that I like to hang out in cemeteries. Just ask my kids. They hated having to stop on our vacations so I could wander through a cemetery.

Often I would stop and wonder about the 'dashes' in that person's life. Did they have a family? What did they enjoy doing? Did they know the Lord? Did they die loosing the battle but winning the victory?

We all have 'dashes' in our lives. I can go back quite a long way and fill in those dashes. My first memories of horses. Moving to Puerto Rico. School. Family. Church. Vacations. Jobs. Friends. Hobbies. Possessions. How many of those 'dashes' will amount to anything in eternity? Those are the 'dashes' that count. For Him.

No comments: