Friday, January 30, 2009

Worktime Woes

I am usually the person Andy confides in when there are workplace issues. I knew things were bad within our company, and in our store in particular. I knew that one of our leads would be offered a different position. I knew one of our managers would be let go. I did not know how difficult it would be to say 'good-bye' to my dear friend Chris. I had begged Andy not to make Chris go. No one else knew what was happening. No one else shared my trepidation. I thought it might be Chris, but Andy would not tell me. I begged him not to let Chris go.
Yesterday Andy called me into his office while he spoke to Jill about her job being eliminated. Sweet Jill. So perky and so upbeat. It was hard. Andy was rather disoriented. He was choking up. Jill maintained her composure. When I left, I knew he called Chris. I knew it was Chris. He didn't need me to sit in while it was man to man talking. Jill was in the breakroom crying. I was in my office crying. Carlye is getting more upset by the minute. I assured her that her job was safe.
Soon Chris came into my office and in his sweet way, told me what had happened. I tried to be calm. I tried to be positive. We hugged. We cried. Carlye came by. He told her good-bye. She broke down. Chris broke down. I broke down even more. Andy called Carlye and I into his office. Andy wept. Carlye wept. I sobbed.
Chris was one of those one in a million people. He was a delight to work with. Everyone loved Chris. His love for the Lord. His sweet spirit. His servant's heart. His laugh. Oh! How I will miss his laugh and he was always laughing! Always positive. He was my Thursday night partner. He was my weekend partner. I could share my blessings with him. I could share my sorrows with him. We always called it the 'Thursday Night Curse' because things always went wrong on Thursday night. And we laughed. Chris always laughed. And this past Thursday night was especially cursed. It was the night I lost my partner, my friend, my brother in Christ.

2 comments:

Holly said...

That's really sad! :(

Jessica said...

You have such a neat blog! Thanks for sharing!