Saturday, March 28, 2009

Little Girl Lost

About 1:00 today, I got a call asking me to assist in a theft apprehension. Normally I do not do this, but the person stealing was female and the only loss prevention associate present was a male. I went out to the floor and watched as the female in the blue coat continued to put items in her pockets. Because of the distance, I could not see how old she was.
As she stepped out of the door with an older female, W approached her and told her he was from loss prevention and asked her to return to the store with him. The older woman began to yell at her. I led the way back to Andy's office. This 15 year old girl began to pull rings out of her pocket. I knew I was to observe, not speak. As time wore on, and W finished the report, things began to relax. We waited for the police to arrive. It was then that I realized this was a little girl lost.
K was living with her 80 year old grandparents while her mom recuperated in a nursing home from a stroke. She was obviously impoverished. She was obviously somewhat mentally deficient. She wants to become a veterinarian. I told her that a split second decision can change our lives forever. That choices have consequences. Her brothers have been arrested for theft. She learned well. Mike Huckabee wants to save our city. There is more than one way, and it is one soul at a time. I longed to bring this little girl lost home with me. To give her a chance. A chance to find life eternal.

No comments: