Sunday, October 11, 2009

Home Free

Yesterday morning at around 10:30 I lost my Survivor, Sears ally. I lost my confidant. I lost my team mate. I lost my friend.

I really never thought it would happen. I thought that she would win this battle. She lost. But, she did have the victory. The ultimate victory.

On Wednesday I went to see her in the hospital, shocked at how she had changed in such a short time. She had a hard time speaking so I just sat beside her. At one point she became aware of me and thanked me for being her friend, for sitting beside her. She said, 'Now that is a true friend.'

On Thursday I quickly ran up to see her before heading off to the cabin for the weekend. She had slipped further away. On Friday they called and said that she was only given a short time to live so I came home. I told her I loved her. I thanked her for being my friend. I told her I was proud of her. On Saturday morning I got to see her one more time. Again, I told her how much I loved her.

Darlene has left a void in my heart. In my workplace. No more Thursday night phone calls. No more making fun of her eubonics. No more asking 'what black folk do?' No more alliance.

Darlene is Home Free. Good night, and thank you for working at Sears.

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I am sorry for the loss of your dear friend.

Katie said...

Becky ~

I'm so sorry for you. Send you lots of love.