Thursday, October 2, 2008

Mi Gente

Today there was an article in the paper about a book signing. The man grew up in Aibonito. I can't begin to count the times we made the trek up to that beautiful mountain town.
Mi Gente - My People. Sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like if we hadn't have moved to Puerto Rico when I was five. Most times I am thankful we did. I know that I am as unique in this culture on the inside, as I was in theirs on the outside. As I matured, I have somewhat allowed the two cultures to blend. I am so very proud of the fact that I am an American. I am so very proud of the fact that I can accept another culture and very easily fit back into that culture. I love being able to understand Spanish. I love having a passion and burden for Spanish speaking people. I love the fact that experiencing the life of a minority gives me the opportunity to appreciate their lives as minorities. Although that land is no longer my land, they will always be Mi Gente. Because you see, I left a little part of my heart on that Island.

1 comment:

Steve+Marie Douglas said...

Mmmm! WOW love how you put that all into words. this thought came to me as I read... "MI GENTE" is that how Jesus feels about us? that His blood stains are on us therefore we are forever HIS PEOPLE.